"OLD MALTON, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mik N.E. from New Malton, containing 1064 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with those of St. Leonard and St. Michael in New Malton, in the archdeaconry of'Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very ancient structure, adjoining which are the remains of a priory, founded in 1150, by Eustace Fitz- John, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for Gilbertine canons, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, amounted to £257.7. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded in the 38th of Henry VIII., by the Archbishop of York, for the instruction of youth in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin, with an endowment, now amounting to about £100 per annum, for the maintenance of a master and an usher, the former of whom teaches the classics, and the latter English."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]