|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OLD MALTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; adjacent to New Malton. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), is a very ancient structure, with the abbey-house and monastery adjoining. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam, and the Rev. William Flower, A. M. is the incumbent. Pop. 1064.
In Leland's time, it appears to have been the mother-church to St. Michael and St Leonard, at New-Malton; and has been built where stood the priory, founded by Eustachius, or Eustace Fitz-John, for canons of the order of St. Gilbert. In 1200, William Laceles, Knight, granted them two bovates of land in Old-Malton, in lieu of certain tithes, -valued at the dissolution at 197L. 19s. 2d. -Dugdale.
In 1546, Robert Holgate, D.D. Archbishop of York, founded a free grammar-school here, and endowed it with lands and tenements, of the value of £20 per annum. "The master is appointed by the Archbishop of York. -Anciently, it appears, there were lands belonging to this school; but now instead of them, there are certain money payments amounting to about £100 per annum, with a good house and garden attached to it." -Carlisle's Gram. Schools.
This village is much noted for its lime quarries."
"HOWE, and HOWBRIDGE, 3 houses in the township and parish of Old Malton, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles NNE. of Old Malton, 3 miles from Malton."
"WYKEHAM, in the parish of Old Malton, and wapentake of Rydale; 1¾ miles NE. of Old Malton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]