GENUKI Home page    Ormesby Parish<br>main page Ormesby
Parish
main page

ORMESBY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ORMESBY, a parish partly in the eastern and partly in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Guilsbrough, containing, with the chapelry of Eston, and the townships of Morton, Normanby, and Upsall, 735 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 6. 18. 6., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. A rent-charge of 10, from an unknown benefactor, is paid for teaching poor children."


"CLEVELAND PORT, a hamlet in the parish of ORMESBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.E. from Stokesley. The population is returned with the parish. It is situated near the mouth of the Tees, affording a convenient point for shipping the greater part of the produce of Cleveland Vale and the surrounding neighbourhood for the London and other markets, and was formerly called Cargo Fleet."


"ESTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of ORMESBY, which is in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Guisbrough, containing 272 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 400 royal bounty. The chapel is a very ancient edifice. The village lies at the base of a detached hill of considerable elevation, called Barnaby, or Eston Moor, the summit of which terminates in a bold point or promontory, called Eston Nab, where a telegraphic beacon, or watch-house, has been lately erected. On the summit of the promontory is an ancient encampment, conjectured to be of Saxon origin, of the date 492, and coeval with the battle of Badon Hill, which was fought in this neighbourhood."


"MORTON, a township in that part of the parish of ORMESBY, which is in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Stokesley, containing 26 inhabitants."


"NORMANBY, a township in that part of the parish of ORMESBY, which is in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Guilsbrough, containing 122 inhabitants."


"UPSALL, a township in that part of the parish of ORMESBY, which is in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W. from Guilsbrough, containing 16 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014