"OSBALDWICK, a parish in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Bulmer, North riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Murton and Osbaldwick, and containing 310 inhabitants, of which number, 176 are in the township of Osbaldwick 2? miles E. from York. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage ol the Prebendary of Strensall in the Cathedral Church ol York, rated in the king's books at £4, and endowed with £600 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas."
"MURTON, a township in the parish of OSBALDWICK, liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Buhner, North riding, of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from York, containing 134 inhabitants; it is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebendary of Strensall in the Cathedral Church of York."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]