"OSBALDWICK, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of York, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the township of Murton. The soil is of a loamy and clayey nature, with a subsoil of clay and gravel. The tithes for the commons of Osbaldwick were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769, and assigned to the prebendary of Strensall in the cathedral of York. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £250, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas, is a small ancient structure. There is a chapel-of-ease at Murton in this parish. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum, of which £9 goes to the support of the school. There are three private lunatic asylums in this parish. T. S. Watkinson, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"MURTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Osbaldwick, liberty of St. Peter's, in the wapentake of Bulmer, and , in the North Riding county York, 1 mile E. of Osbaldwick, and 3 miles N.E. of York. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. --- Thompson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013