Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This is a small parish comprising 1,525 acres, situated on the eastern outskirts of York, and containing 340 inhabitants. It is wholly within the liberty of St. Peter, and includes the two townships of Osbaldwick and Murton. The estimated area of the former is 683 acres; rateable value, £2,150; and population, 164. The township extends into the manor of Strensall; some of the land is freehold, but the larger portion is held by copyhold tenure. The principal owners are W. B. Richardson, Esq., Huby Burn, who is also lord of the manor; the trustees of the late T. S. Watkinson; Robert Atkinson, Newton-on-Derwent; Francis Nursaw, York; William Pomfrey, Bath; Henry Dalton and William Cundell, Osbaldwick.
The village is pleasantly situated about two miles east of York. It is a place of considerable antiquity, having been, in Anglo-Saxon times, the wic or camp of Osbald. It still retains much of its primitive appearance.
The Church is a small ancient stone structure, consisting of nave and chancel, with a small belfry at the west end containing two bells. The fabric was thoroughly restored in 1877-8 at a cost of £1,500, about one-half of which was contributed by the late Joseph Mumby, Esq., of Clifton Holme, in memory of members of the family buried here. The piscina has been preserved, and also the old oak altar rails. The pulpit is a piece of ancient oak work, and was formerly in York Minster. Several of the windows are stained glass memorials. That in the west end is to the memory of James Barber, Esq., of Tang Hall, who was sheriff of York in 1826, and Lord Mayor in 1833. The east window is a handsome one of three lights, the gift of the lord of the manor, In the centre light is depicted the Ascension, and in the right and left, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. On the south side are two windows of two lights each, on which are represented events in the life of Christ; one was presented by the late T. S. Watkinson, Esq., lord mayor of York, and the other by Henry Dalton, Mrs. Ingle, and Mrs. Tremere. There are also two on the north side bearing other scenes from the life of Christ, given by the Rev. J. R. Daniel and Mr. J. W. Lee. There are no ancient memorials in the church, but in the churchyard is an old tombstone on which some "unlettered muse" has inscribed The living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the gift of the Prebendary of Strensall, but now vested in the Archbishop of York, and worth £250, with residence. The present incumbent is the Rev. Frederick Umpleby, who was inducted in 1882.
CHARITIES. - In 1770, William Hutchinson left £100 and a garden of 1 acre 2 roods in Marygate, York, the income to be divided as follows:- £5 to the vicar for sermons on certain days; £5 to the schoolmaster, £2 in books to the scholars, and the residue, if any, to the poor. The land was sold some years ago, and the proceeds, about £1,400, invested in government stock, and now realizes £40 per annum. Mary Thistlethwaite, in 1728, left two rent-charges, payable out of Broad Oak, viz., 80s. for the support of the school, and 10s. for the poor. In 1626, John and Elizabeth Rawson left a yearly rent-charge of £3, whereof, £2 is to be paid to the vicar for preaching sermons on certain days, and £1 to the poor of Osbaldwick. In 1633, Isabel Spenceley gave yearly rent-charges of 20s., 10s., and 10s. for sermons, sacramental wine, and the poor of Osbaldwick respectively. The poor of Murton receive 30s., and those of Osbaldwick 10s. yearly from Straker's charity. (See Holtby.)
Murton gives name to a township which is estimated to contain 842½ acres. Its rateable value is £2,014, and population, 176. The land is chiefly copyhold, of the manor of Strensall. The principal proprietors are Messrs. Kirby, Barnard Castle; Miss Gell, Scarborough; and the trustees of the late T. S. Watkinson. The village is distant about three miles east of York. A Chapel-of-Ease was erected here some time before the Reformation, and John Carrifer, LL.D., in 1511, left seven acres of land called Far and Little Waterland Fields, which he charged with the reparation of this chapel, and the payment of 11s. 8d. yearly to the curate. The chapel is now a mouldering ruin, and the bequest lost.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.