"OSMOTHERLEY, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Northallerton, its post town, and 5½ S.E. of the Welbury railway station. The village, which is extensive, is situated among the Hambleton hills, near the Codbeck and Wiske streams, which rise on the Osmotherley Moors. The parish includes the townships of Ellerbeck, West Harlsey, and Thimbleby. There are extensive quarries of excellent freestone. The ruins of the Carthusian priory at Mount Grace, founded in 1396 by Thomas Duke of Surrey, and of the castle of West Harlsey, are in this parish. There are corn mills, bleach works, and an extensive linen manufactory, which gives employment to a large number of hands. An ancient cross, much disfigured, stands in the centre of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £130. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower containing three bells. There is a National school. The Wesleyans and Roman Catholics have each a place of worship, and the Friends a meeting-house. Annual fairs are held on 3rd May and October 18th for cattle and sheep."
"ELLERBECK, a township in the parish of Osmotherley, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Northallerton."
"THIMBLEBY, a township in the parish of Osmotherley, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Thirsk, and 6 N.E. of Northallerton railway station. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the worsted manufacture. At a short distance to the E. of the village stands Thimbleby Lodge, situated in a wood."
"WEST HARLSEY, a township in the parish of Osmotherley, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Northallerton. It is joined with East Harlsey. Here are the ruins of Harlsey Castle, founded by Judge Strangeways. The Earl of Harewood is owner of the land."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013