GENUKI Home page    Oswaldkirk Parish<br>main page Oswaldkirk
Parish
main page

OSWALDKIRK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"OSWALDKIRK, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S. from Helmsley, containing 212 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 10. 1. 8., and in the patronage of William Gray, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is principally in the Norman style. Here are the remains of an old monastic edifice. Eight poor children are instructed for 4 a year, the gift of Mary Fyshe, and the charity school has an endowment of 5 per annum, by Thomas Carter. Roger Dodsworth, the antiquary, was born at Newton-Grange, in 1585; he died in 1654."


"CHAPEL GRANGE, a hamlet in the parish of OSWALDKIRK, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Helmsley. The population is returned with the parish."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014