"OSWALDKIRK, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Helmsley, its post town, and 13 mile N. of Gilling railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from York to Helmsley, and near the river Rye. It is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the township of Oswaldkirk Quarter-Ampleforth, at which place are the ruins of a Roman Catholic college. The soil consists of clay, and is very productive. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £409 10s., and the glebe comprises 55 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £868. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, contains several monuments. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum, of which £5 goes to Fysher's school. The Wesleyans meet at a private house for Divine worship. R. B. Oakley, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are remains of an old monastic edifice. Roger Dodsworth, the antiquary, was born at Newton-Grange."
"GRANGE CHAPEL, a hamlet in the parish of Oswaldkirk, North Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Helmsley."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016