"OVERTON, a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of BULMEB., North riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Overton, Shipton, and Skelton, and containing 709 inhabitants, of which number,, 59 are in the township of Overton, 4 miles N.W. from York. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 8. ll., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Mrs. Earle. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. A free school was founded, in 1655, under the will of Ann Middleton, who bequeathed £1000 for its erection and maintenance: the income is £40 a year, for which fifty boys are instructed."
"SHIPTON, a township in that part of the parish of OVERTON, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, and extending into the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.W. from York, containing 377 inhabitants. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded, in 1655, by Ann Middleton, who endowed it with £40 per annum, which is paid to the master, who also occupies a house rent-free, for teaching about fifty children reading, writing, and accompts."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]