Parish main page
Wapentakes of Hang East and Hang West - Petty Sessional Division of East Hang - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Leyburn - Rural Deanery of East Catterick - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
This parish comprises the townships of Patrick Brompton and Newton-le-Willows, and part of Arrathorne, Hunton, and Scotton, embracing a population of 720. The parochial boundary is somewhat mixed up, and the area included within it has not been ascertained, The Northallerton and Hawes railway passes through the southern portion of the parish, on which there is a station called Jervaulx. The township of Patrick Brompton contains 1,238 acres, 178 inhabitants, and is valued for rating purposes at £1,481. The principal landowners are the duke of Leeds, who is also lord of the manor; Charles H. Elsley, Esq., New Buildings, Thirsk; Samuel Cunliffe Lister, Esq., Swinton Park; and Mr. William Atkinson, Patrick Brompton.
The village, a long and straggling one, is situated 3½ miles N.W. of Bedale. It is intersected by a small stream; that part standing on the east side of the beck is, for ecclesiastical purposes, in the parish of Crakehall. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is an ancient stone building in the Early English style, comprising nave, with side aisles, south porch, chancel, and west tower, in which are a clock and three bells. The fabric was thoroughly restored in 1864, the chancel at the expense of the lay rector (C. H. Elsley, Esq.), and the other parts by Jonathan Rigg, Esq., of the Island of Java. The cost of the latter was £3,040, which, with the exception of £645, contributed by the parishioners, was defrayed by Mr. Rigg. Its ancient and interesting features have been retained. The original tower is said to have been blown down in a storm, and rebuilt in 1672. Its appearance was much improved in 1864 by the addition of embattlements, pinnacles, and a dwarf tower. The east window is a very beautiful stained glass memorial of Charles H. Elsley and his wife, erected by their children in 1868. The Crucifixion and Resurrection are represented in the centre light, and eight other subjects from the life of Christ are depicted in those on either side. The window at the east end of the south aisle, representing Christ the Good Shepherd in the centre light, with St. Peter and St. John in the two side ones, was inserted by William Atkinson, Esq., and Anne Other, in 1878, in memory of some members of the Atkinson family. There is a tablet to the memory of the Rev. Hugh Rigg, who was incumbent of the parish for nearly 55 years, and another to Mr. Jonathan Rigg, who died in Java, to which place he returned after restoring the church. The living is a new vicarage with the chapelry of Hunton annexed, in the gift of the bishop of Ripon, and held by the Rev. Christopher Norton Wright; M.A. The joint net value is £228, including 41 acres of glebe. The church was appropriated to the abbey of St. Mary, York, at an early period, and it remained in the possession of that house till the dissolution of monasteries.
The school, which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1856, by subscription, is endowed with land and houses, producing about £28 a year. It is mixed, with an average attendance of 50, and is under the care of Arthur Wilks, B.A.
Brompton Hall is an ancient mansion, the property of C. H. Elsley, Esq., and residence of Colonel Haynes, late 42nd Highlanders.
CHARITIES. - Francis Clarke, of London, 1708, bequeathed a rent-charge of £2 12s. per annum, out of Foxton Close, which is given to the poor in bread after service every Sunday. Gregory Elsley, in 1716, left £20 to the poor of Patrick Brompton; another Gregory Elsley, Esq., in 1828, left £100 for the same purpose; and Elizabeth Elsley, of Skipton Bridge, in 1858, bequeathed £400 to the poor of Patrick Brompton and Newton-le-Willows. This sum was invested in the purchase of £407 12s. 11d., consolidated three per cent, annuities, and the dividend is distributed yearly in coals.
NEWTON-LE-WILLOWS is a township in this parish containing 1,858 acres, including "No Man's Moor," which was enclosed some years ago. Samuel Cunliffe Lister, Esq.; Charles H. Elsy, Esq.; Robert Hutton-Squire, Esq., Holtby Hall, Bedale; Mr. William Atkinson, Patrick Brompton; and Christopher F. Mason, Dishforth, are the principal landowners. The first-named gentleman, who purchased this estate from the marquis of Ailesbury, is lord of the manor. The rateable value is £2,454, and the population, 338.
The village occupies a pleasant situation near the foot of a lofty acclivity, three miles W.N.W. of Bedale, The Northallerton and Hawes railway passes close by and has a station here, now called Jervaulx, to prevent mistakes or inconvenience arising from confounding this Newton-le-Willows with another place of the same name in Lancashire, on the London and North Western Company's line. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here, that belonging to the former, erected in 1860, and that of the latter in 1856. An infants' school, with residence, was erected in 1846, at the joint expense of the late marquis of Ailesbury and the late John Forster, of Newton Hall, on a site given by the former. Mr. Forster endowed it with £500, which is now invested in the 2½ per cent. consols. The school is attended by about 30 children, and is under the care of Mrs. Margaret Wade.
About a quarter of a mile from the village, on the road leading to Jervaulx Abbey, extensive premises are now in course of erection by the Rev. Clement T. Hales, M.A., to which, when completed, he will remove his high class preparatory school from Aysgarth. The building is of brick, with freestone dressings, and roofed with red Shropshire tiles. Accommodation is provided for about 90 boarders, and the utmost care has been bestowed upon the sanitary arrangements in order to secure the health and comfort of the boys. The building is three stories high, and will be lighted throughout by electricity. On the ground floor are Mr. Hale's private study, the boys' refectory, schoolrooms, class rooms, gymnasium, and private chapel; and on the two upper floors are the lofty and well ventilated dormitories. Swimming baths, racquet courts, tennis, cricket, and football grounds have been provided, and a little distance off is the Sanatorium. There are about 39 acres of land and an excellent water supply. The architects are Messrs. Clark & Moscrop, of Darlington and Newcastle-on-Tyne.
HUNTON is a township in this parish containing 1,910 acres, and it also gives name to a chapelry comprising Hunton and Arrathorne. Its rateable value is £1,913, and population 411. Sir John and Lady Cowell, Clifton Castle, and Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq., Denton Park, are the largest landowners. The manorial privileges belong to the former. Col. Wade-Dalton, Hauxwell Hall; Thomas Other, Esq., Middleham; Clark Thornhill, Robert Auton, William Atkinson, C. Scaife, William Hauxwell, Mrs. Edmundson, and a few small freeholders have land in the township. A family bearing the local name was seated here at an early period, and were probably the original owners of the manor. They also possessed lands in Newsham, Dalton, Aske, and other places, and appear to have been of some consequence in the Edwardian period. As early as the reign of King John, Roger de Hunton was one of the witnesses to a grant of land to the nuns of Marrick. The old hall or manor house has long been converted into a farmstead, and is now in the occupation of Mr. William Wells.
The village is situated near the confluence of two small rivulets, six miles N.W. of Bedale, and the same distance S. of Richmond. The church of St. John is a plain stone edifice, rebuilt in 1794, by Gregory Elsley, Esq., who also endowed it with £200. The living, worth £108, is annexed to Patrick Brompton. The register dates from 1794. The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1829, and restored during the present year.
A School Board was formed in 1876, for the united district of Hunton and Arrathorne, and a school was erected the following year at a cost of £800. It is mixed, and has an average attendance of 76.
There is only one charity belonging to the township - the interest (£2 8s. 8d.) of £100 left by Thomas Knight, Esq., of Finghall - which is distributed by the minister and churchwardens at Christmas.
There is now residing in the village a very remarkable instance of longevity. Mrs. Lanchester, who is now in her 108th year, was born at Gallow Hill, near Barnard Castle, on the 29th of May, 1782, and has been a widow about 50 years. She is still in the possession of all her faculties, and took a short spell in the hay field this summer.*
* Since the above was written the newspapers have recorded the death of the aged lady.
ARRATHORNE is a small township containing 850 acres, the property of the duke of Leeds, who is also lord of the manor. It is intermixed with Hornby, and a portion of the township lies within that parish. The rateable value is £607, and number of inhabitants 62. It is included in the Leyburn Division for the election of a county councillor. The hamlet is situated two miles N.W. of Patrick Brompton, and five miles south of Catterick.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.