The Ancient Parish of PATRICK BROMPTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"PATRICK BROMPTON, (or East Brompton) a parish in the wapentake of Hang East &
liberty of Richmondshire; 3½ miles NW. of Bedale. Here is a church dedicated to
St. Patrick; the living is a Perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of
Chester. Here is a school endowed with about £20. per annum. Population, 158."
"ARRATHORNE, in the parish of Patrick Brompton, wapentake of Hang East; 2 miles
NW. of Patrick Brompton, 5 miles SSE. of Richmond. Pop. 64."
"HUNTON, in the parish of Patrick Brompton, wapentake of Hang West, liberties of
St. Peter's and Richmondshire ; 2¼ miles WNW. of Patrick Brompton, 6 miles NW.
of Bedale. The Church is a perpetual curacy, (rebuilt in 1794) dedicated to St.
John (see Churches for photograph), and annexed to Patrick-Brompton. Pop. 496."
"NEWTON LE WILLOWS, in the parish of Patrick Brompton wapentake of Hang East, and
liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile SSW. of Patrick Brompton, 3 miles WNW. of
Bedale. Here is a small Methodist chapel. Pop. 250."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- "Newton-le-Willows - A history of a North Yorkshire Village" by the Newton-le-Willows Local History Group.
Publisher: Blaisdon Publishing, 2007, Softcover, ISBN 1902838432
- A book about
the Wensleydale Railway by Tony Eaton is available.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
St. Patrick's Church, Patrick Brompton.
St John's Church, Hunton, disused view 1.
St John's Church, Hunton, disused view 2.
St John's Church, Hunton, being converted into a dwelling (2006).
The Methodist Church, Hunton.
(The Church's website is here.)
The former Methodist Church, Newton le Willows. This Church closed in January 2006. Prior to the 1980s, the Methodist Church
and the ex-primitive existed side-by-side holding services alternate weeks.
The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Newton le Willows. This ex-primitive chapel, although built in 1895, was a replacement for a previous chapel built in 1856
using reclaimed bricks from the first chapel. It was sold in the 1980's and was used for storage until 2007 when it was converted into a house.
- By Order in Council, dated 11th of April, 1840, the townships of Great Crakehall
and Langthorne, formerly under the jurisdiction of this parish
and a part Bedale parish, became a parish in their own right. See
Great Crakehall Parish.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015