GENUKI Home page    Pickhill Parish<br>main page Pickhill
Parish
main page

PICKHILL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"PICKHILL, a parish comprising the township of Holme with Howgrave, in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, and the townships of Ainderby-Quernhow, Howe, Pickhill with Roxby, Sinderby, and Swainby with Allarthorp, in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 686 inhabitants, of which number, 334 are in the township of Pickhill with Roxby, 7 miles N.W. from Thirsk. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 5. 13. 4., endowed with 400 private benefaction, 400 royal bounty, and 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Sarah Eden, in 1742, bequeathed 200 for teaching twenty poor children. The river Swale forms the eastern boundary of the parish. Here was once a castle, and there are still some fields called the Roman fields."


"AINDERBY QUERNHOW, a township in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Thirsk, containing 99 inhabitants."


"ALLARTHORP, a township, joint with Swainby, in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from Bedale. The population is 'returned with Swainby."


"HOLM, a township, joint with Howgrave, in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, though locally in the wapentake of Hallikeld, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Thirsk, containing 102 inhabitants."


"HOWE, a township in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Thirsk, containing 32 inhabitants."


"ROXBY, a township, joint with Pickhill, in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Thirsk. The population is returned with Pickhill."


"SINDERBY, a township in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Thirsk, containing 86 inhabitants."


"SWAINBY, a township, joint with Allarthorp, in that part of the parish of PICKHILL, which is in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Bedale, containing, with Allarthorp, 33 inhabitants. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. Butchers' knives, and some other articles of cutlery, are manufactured. A Premonstratensian abbey, founded here by Hellewise, daughter of Ranulph de Glanville, in the time of Henry II., was afterwards translated to Covcrham."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014