Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for PICKHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

PICKHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"PICKHILL, a parish in the wapentakes of Hallikeld and Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Thirsk, its post town, and 2 from the Sinderby station on the North-Eastern line of railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Swale, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish comprises the townships of Holm, Ainderby-Quernhow, How, Sinderby, Pickhill, and Swainby. There are traces of a Saxon camp, and some fields called the Roman fields. The surface is undulating, and the soil consists partly of clay and partly of a sandy loam. The glebe comprises 21 acres in this parish and 13 in Wensley. The impropriation belongs to the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £152, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower. The parochial charities produce about £52 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. William Rutson, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"AINDERBY QUERNHOW, a township in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, lying 6 miles to the S.W. of Thirsk. It is near the river Swale, and Leeming Lane, which is a station on the Leyburn branch of the North Eastern railway."


"ALLERTHORPE, (or Allarthorpe), a township in the parish of Pickhill, and wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the S.E. of Bedale. It is a joint township with Swainby, and is near Leeming Lane and the river Swale."


"HOLME, a township in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 5 miles W. of Thirsk, 6 S.E, of Bedale, and 9 N.E. of Ripon. It is united with Howgrave to form a township"


"HOWE, a township in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Ripon, and 5 S.W. of Thirsk."


"ROXBY, a township in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Thirsk."


"SINDERBY, a township in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Thirsk, 7 N. of Ripon, and 1 mile E. of the Sinderby station, on the Northallerton branch of the North Eastern railway. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Swaile. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."


"SWAINBY WITH ALLERTHORPE, a township in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Swainby, and 6½ S.E. of Bedale."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013