Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Pickhill:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Pickhill:


"AINDERBY QUERNHOW, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 miles W. of Pickhill, 6 miles WSW. of Thirsk. Pop. 99."


"ALLERTHORP, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld and liberty of Allertonshire; 2¼ miles NNW. of Pickhill, 5 miles ESE. of Bedale.

Allerthorpe Hall, now occupied as a farm house was for some time the residence of the celebrated Mrs Elizabeth Montague, whose letters, many of which are dated from this place, have been most favourably received by the literary world. Her father was Matthew Robinson, Esq. of West-Layton, and nearly allied to Dr. Robinson, who founded the Schools and Alms-House at Burneston."


"BUTCHER HOUSES, a hamlet in the townships of Kirklington and Ainderby-Quernhow, and parishes of Kirklington and Pickhill; 7 miles, from Ripon, 7½ from Thirsk, 8 from Bedale."


"HIGH NESS, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld, & liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile W. of Pickhill, 5 miles SE. of Bedale."


"HOLME, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1 mile SSE. of Pickhill, 8 miles SE. of Bedale, the residence of John Stockdale, gentleman, of Home Lodge. Population, including Howgrave, 102.."


"HOWE, in the parish of Pickhill and wapentake of Halikeld; 2¼ miles SSE. of Pickhill, 5 miles SW. of Thirsk. Population, 32."


"NESS, (High and Low), 2 farm house in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile WNW. of Pickhill."


"ROAKSBY, or Roxby, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles WSW. of Pickhill,"


"SANDHOLMES, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles SW. of Pickhill, 6 miles from Thirsk."


"SINDERBY, in the parish of Pickhill, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile S. of Pickhill, 6 miles W. of Thirsk. Population, 86."


"SWAINBY, in the parish of Pickhill, and wapentake of Halikeld; 1¼ miles NNW. of Pickhill, 5½ miles ESE. of Bedale. Population including Allerthorpe, 33.

Here Helewise, daughter of Ranulph de Glanville founded, in the reign of Henry II. a religious house for canons of the Premonstatentian order; but she marrying Ralph de Ranulph, Lord of Middleham, it was removed in 1215, to Coverham, near his manor house of Middleham; he died in 1251, and was buried at Coverham. --Dugdale. --Burton. Not a vestige of the building is now to be met with, though the unevenness of the ground points out very clearly its site."


"UNION HOUSE, (later Little Union, now (2005) Roxby House) a farm house in the township and parish of Pickhill; 1¼ miles WSW. of Pickhill."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]