Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ROMALDKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

ROMALDKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ROMALDKIRK, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cotherston, Hol- wick, Hunderthwaite, Lartington, Lune-Dale, Miekle- ton, and Romaldkirk, and containing 2461 inhabitants, of which number, 377 are in the township of Romald- Kirk, 6 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £58. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Earl of Strathmore. The church, dedicated to St. Romald, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a large square tower crowned with pinnacles; it contains several handsome monuments. John Parkin, in 1632, bequeathed £300, now producing about £20 per annum, for which all the poor children of the parish are entitled to free instruction."


"COTHERSTON, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK., %f miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 706 inhabitants. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. A free school on the National system has been established for fifty children, of whom twelve are annually clothed. The village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Tees, contiguous to which are the remains of a castle that formerly belonged to the Fitz-Hughs, lords of the manor, but was destroyed in one of the devastating inroads of the Scots."


"HOLWICK, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of York, 12 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 201 inhabitants."


"HUNDERTHWAITE, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, -western division of the wapentake of GILUNG, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 313 inhabitants."


"LAITHKIRK, a chapelry in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle. The population is returned with the parish."


"LARTINGTON, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 243 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chantry chapel, and attached toLartingtonhall, the seatof Henry Witham, Esq., lord of the manor, is a very handsome Roman Catholic chapel, containing a painting of a crucifix, by Le Brun, which is considered so good an imitation of sculpture as to deceive the best judges. A school was endowed, in 16S6, by a benefaction of £60 from John Parken, and one of £40 from Francis Appleby; the income is £20 per annum; eight children are educated."


"LUNEDALE, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 265 inhabitants. At Laith, in this township, there is a chapel of ease to the parish church. An annuity of £10 is paid by the trustees of the late Earl of Strathmore to a schoolmaster, for teaching twenty-five children."


"MICKLETON, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 356 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]