GENUKI Home page    Romaldkirk Parish<br>main page Romaldkirk
Parish
main page

ROMALDKIRK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ROMALDKIRK, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cotherston, Hol- wick, Hunderthwaite, Lartington, Lune-Dale, Miekle- ton, and Romald-Kirk, and containing 2461 inhabitants, of which number, 377 are in the township of Romald- Kirk, 6 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 58. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Earl of Strathmore. The church, dedicated to St. Romald, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a large square tower crowned with pinnacles; it contains several handsome monuments. John Parkin, in 1632, bequeathed 300, now producing about 20 per annum, for which all the poor children of the parish are entitled to free instruction."


"COTHERSTON, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK., %f miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 706 inhabitants. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. A free school on the National system has been established for fifty children, of whom twelve are annually clothed. The village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Tees, contiguous to which are the remains of a castle that formerly belonged to the Fitz-Hughs, lords of the manor, but was destroyed in one of the devastating inroads of the Scots."


"HOLWICK, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of York, 12 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 201 inhabitants."


"HUNDERTHWAITE, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, -western division of the wapentake of GILUNG, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 313 inhabitants."


"LAITHKIRK, a chapelry in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle. The population is returned with the parish."


"LARTINGTON, a township in the parish of ROMALD- KIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 243 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chantry chapel, and attached toLartingtonhall, the seatof Henry Witham, Esq., lord of the manor, is a very handsome Roman Catholic chapel, containing a painting of a crucifix, by Le Brun, which is considered so good an imitation of sculpture as to deceive the best judges. A school was endowed, in 16S6, by a benefaction of 60 from John Parken, and one of 40 from Francis Appleby; the income is 20 per annum; eight children are educated."


"LUNEDALE, a township in the parish of ROMALDKIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles W.N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 265 inhabitants. At Laith, in this township, there is a chapel of ease to the parish church. An annuity of 10 is paid by the trustees of the late Earl of Strathmore to a schoolmaster, for teaching twenty-five children."


"MICKLETON, a township in the parish of RoMALD-KIRK, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 356 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014