Wapentake of Rydale and Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Electoral Division of Thornton - Poor Law Union of Pickering - County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Rosedale is a modern parish constituted by an order in council about sixteen years ago. It comprises the two townships of East and West Rosedale, whose united area is 13,479 acres, and population, 702. The whole district is wild and romantic, consisting of elevated moorlands and fells. It is intersected by the small river Seven, which divides the two townships. East Rosedale contains 4,603 acres, including 2,500 acres of moor, and is the property of William Milburn, Esq., of Newcastle, who is also the lord of the manor. Rateable value, £2,904. The hills abound with iron ore, and for several years Rosedale was celebrated for its rich and extensive deposits of magnetic ore, but this is now nearly exhausted. The oolitic seam, as worked, varies from five to twelve feet in thickness. The ore is of a greenish colour, and yields from 30 to 35 per cent. of metallic iron from the furnaces. The mines are now leased to the Carlton Iron Company. Coal of an inferior quality was formerly wrought, and freestone is extensively quarried. A mineral branch line was constructed in 1860-1. It leaves the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway at Battersby Junction, and after running about twelve miles to Blakey Junction it divides into two branches, which traverse each side of the dale.
Rosedale Abbey village is situated on the east bank of the Seven, at a height of 500 feet above the sea level, and above this rises Bank Top, another 500 feet higher. There was here formerly a priory for Benedictine nuns, founded by Robert de Stuteville, about the year 1190. At the Dissolution the community consisted of a prioress and eight or nine sisters, whose yearly income was valued at £41 13s. 4d. The site was granted by Henry VIII. to Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland, together with the manor of Keldholm, to be held by military service, but all the Neville lands were forfeited to the Crown by the rebellion of the sixth earl, in the reign of Elizabeth, The manor and estate were lately the property of H. B. Darley, Esq., of Aldby Park, and were purchased by the present owner in 1879. The only portion of the priory now remaining is the lower part of a spiral staircase. A fine, massive doorway and the farm buildings, which had been erected on the site of the priory, were removed to make way for the present Lecture Hall, The conventual church which was subsequently annexed as a chapel-of-ease to Middleton, was rebuilt in 1839, at a cost of £665, raised by subscription. An old stone coffin, which when discovered five or six years ago contained portions of a skeleton, lies in the churchyard. The living is a new vicarage, worth about £220 a year, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. W. H. Robinson. There is a Methodist chapel here, and another at Updale. The latter, built in 1872, at a cost of £600, has a well attended British school underneath. A Lecture Hall, capable of seating 700 persons, was erected in 1873, by the late Rosedale and Ferryhill Iron Co. In the upper story is the National school.
ROSEDALE WEST SIDE. - This is an extensive moorland township, containing 8,876 acres, chiefly the property of Thomas and James Garbutt, William Milburn, Esq., Peter Campion, John Parkinson, Wm. Strickland, Gill Bank; Thomas Strickland, Thurgill; Thomas Wilson, Thomas Dale, John Dale, and Henry Darley, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. Rateable value, £1,926. Iron ore is abundant, and is extensively mined by the Carlton Iron Co. Thorgill, or Thurgill, is a small village in this township, where there is a small Wesleyan chapel.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016