Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for RUDBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

RUDBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"RUDBY, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Middleton upon Leven, and the townships of Hutton, East Rouncton, Rudby in Cleveland, Skutterskelfe, and Sexhow, and containing 1311 inhabitants, of which number, 76 are in the township of Rudby in Cleveland, 3 miles W.S.W. from Stokesley. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £30, endowed with £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Amherst. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The river Leven runs through the parish. Five poor children are educated for £5 a year, in a school built by subscription."


"EAST ROUNTON, a chapelry in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Yarm, containing 135 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Amherst."


"HUTTON, a township in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Stokesley, containing 919 inhabitants."


"MIDDLETON UPON LEVEN, a chapelry in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Yarm, containing 111 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £1000 royal bounty. Lady Amherst was patroness in 1820. The chapel is dedicated to St. Cuthhert."


"SEXHOW, a township in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5. miles: W.S.W. from Stokesley, containing 38 inhalants."


"SKUTTERSKELFE, a township in the parish of RUDBY, Western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Stokesley, containing 32 inhabitants. Near the village is an excellent land-mark called Folly Hill, which is sometimes discernible twenty leagues at sea."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]