GENUKI Home page    Rudby Parish<br>main page Rudby
Parish
main page

RUDBY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"RUDBY, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Middleton upon Leven, and the townships of Hutton, East Rouncton, Rudby in Cleveland, Skutterskelfe, and Sexhow, and containing 1311 inhabitants, of which number, 76 are in the township of Rudby in Cleveland, 3 miles W.S.W. from Stokesley. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 30, endowed with 1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Amherst. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The river Leven runs through the parish. Five poor children are educated for 5 a year, in a school built by subscription."


"EAST ROUNTON, a chapelry in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Yarm, containing 135 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 800 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Amherst."


"HUTTON, a township in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Stokesley, containing 919 inhabitants."


"MIDDLETON UPON LEVEN, a chapelry in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Yarm, containing 111 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 1000 royal bounty. Lady Amherst was patroness in 1820. The chapel is dedicated to St. Cuthhert."


"SEXHOW, a township in the parish of RUDBY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5. miles: W.S.W. from Stokesley, containing 38 inhalants."


"SKUTTERSKELFE, a township in the parish of RUDBY, Western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Stokesley, containing 32 inhabitants. Near the village is an excellent land-mark called Folly Hill, which is sometimes discernible twenty leagues at sea."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014