"SALTON, a parish and township locally in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Kirby Moorside, its post town, and 3½ N. of Barton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Rye, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the township of Brawby. The soil consists of a deep loam, with subsoil of clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £140. The church is dedicated to St. John of Beverley. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. J. Woodall, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BRAWBY, a township in the parish of Salton, and wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.W. of New Malton. It lies on the banks of the river Rye. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013