Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Ryedale - Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Kirbymoorside - County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This is a small parish, within the liberty of St. Peter's, containing, according to the Ordnance Survey, 2,761 acres. The inhabitants, in 1881, numbered 326. The surface is generally level, and watered by the rivers Dove, Seven, Riccal, and Rye. The soil is a deep loam and clay. Of the total area 1,730 acres belong to the township of Salton, of which the rateable value is £1,893, and the population 152. The principal landowners are John Woodall, Esq., Scarborough, who is also lord of the manor; A. G. Duncombe, Esq.; and Miss Candler, Ayton, Scarborough.
The village of Salton is small, but pleasantly situated on the banks of the Dove, about five miles S. of Kirbymoorside. The church, which is dedicated to St. John of Beverley, is a Norman structure of the 11th century, with restorations of later date. The edifice was partially destroyed by fire about the year 1200, but it was thoroughly restored again, the present fine tower was built at the west end, and some of the very narrow windows were made wider and longer, with pointed heads. Traces of the fire may still be seen on the walls. The arch of the porch is part of the original church, and is ornamented with two orders of well-carved beak heads, with the remains of a third. The chancel arch, which is also Norman, exhibits three of zigzag work. The church was again restored in 1881, at a cost of over £2,000, towards which the lord of the manor contributed £1,000. A new spiral staircase was erected in the tower, and the gallery, which disfigured the west end of the nave, was taken down, The chancel window is a memorial of the late John Woodall, Esq., and the west window was, at the time of our writing, being filled with stained glass to the memory of the late Rev. William Abbey, who was for 40 years incumbent of the church. At the end of the nave is a capacious old chest, much iron bound. It is said to be 13th century work. There are some memorials of the Dowker family, who formerly resided here, and were owners of the estate and patrons of the church. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of J. W. Woodall, Esq., and held by the Rev. R. J. Hill, M.A. It is valued in the King's Books at £4 10s. 10d., and is now worth £140.
The Primitive Methodist chapel was a deed-of-gift by the late Mr. W. Brand, of Manor House, in 1867, who also gave land for any future enlargement. The congregation numbers about 30.
BRAWBY TOWNSHIP, which constitutes the remainder of the parish, contains 968 acres of land under assessment, and is rated to the poor at £1,383. The inhabitants number 174. The landowners are Abraham Farrer, Esq.; Francis Coates, Little Habton; Mrs. Candler, Ayton; Robert Lesley, Esq., Sinnington; and Matthew Mercer, Lockton.
The village is situated in the tongue of land between the Seven and Dove, near their junction with the Rye. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here - a small limestone structure, erected in 1838, at a cost of £150. There is also a National school - a neat stone building, erected in 1859. It is attended by 26 children, and is used, occasionally, for church services.
Brawby Park House is a neat residence, owned and occupied by Mrs. R. Watson, who possesses a choice collection of antique carved oak furniture, curiosities, and local antiquities.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.