Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Birdforth - Electoral Division of Topcliffe - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Thirsk - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
PLEASE NOTE: There is another SAND HUTTON parish not many miles away (-CH 1999).
This parish, formerly a township and chapelry under Thirsk, includes an area of 1,294 acres, and had, in 1881, a population of 312. The chief landowners are R. Bell, Esq., who is also lord of the manor; N. H. Hodgson, Esq., Knaresborough; G. R. Bullock, Esq., Breckenbro'; and the North Eastern Railway Co., whose line intersects the parish. The rateable value is £2,677.
The manor anciently belonged to the Mowbrays, of Thirsk Castle, under whom it was held by a family styled de Hoton. Subsequently the lands were divided among many holders, who, in feudal times, held them by military service under the lords of Thirsk.
The Village is pleasantly situated three miles W. by S. of Thirsk, and is distinguished from the many Huttons in the county by the addition of the word Sand, descriptive of its situation in a sandy soil. At the corner of a field, by the footpath leading from the village to Thirsk, is a shaft or pillar of stone, nine inches square by three feet high, inserted into a massive block of stone as a pedestal. It is known as Sand Hutton Cross, and was evidently placed there many years ago, probably as a boundary stone, for it stands on the spot where the three townships of Sand Hutton, Carlton Miniott, and Thirsk meet; but local gossips assign its erection to an unrecorded time when Thirsk was ravaged by the plague, and the market was held here. Near the village, at the intersection of the road with that leading from Topcliffe to Northallerton, is a public-house called Busby Stoop, which derives its name from the gibbet that once stood here, whereon a man named Busby was executed and hung in chains for the murder of Dan-Auty or Dannoty his father-in-law. (See Kirby Wiske parish.)
The Church (St. Leonard) is a neat Gothic structure, rebuilt in 1878 on the site of an old one which dated from the 13th century. It consists of chancel and nave, with porch and small bell turret, and cost £949, which was raised by subscription and a bazaar. The living is a vicarage (formed in 1865) in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and now amalgamated with that of Carlton-Miniott. The great tithes, the property of the Archbishop, amount to £243, and the small tithes to £62 10s.
The Methodists have a small chapel in the village, a plain brick building, erected in 1816.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.