Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
PLEASE NOTE: There is another SAND HUTTON parish not many miles away.(-CH 1999)
This is a new parish, constituted, by an Order in Council, in 1861, and consists of the townships of Sand Hutton and Claxton, formerly under Bossall; whose united area is 3,081 acres, and population 455. Of these figures 2,242 acres and 245 inhabitants belong to the first-named township, which is mostly the property of Sir James Robert Walker, Bart., Sand Hutton Hall, The rateable value of the township is £2,064.
Sand Hutton was formerly the seat and property of William Read, Esq., from whom it descended to the Rev. T. C. Rudston, of Hayton, who, thereupon, in compliance with the will of his relative, assumed the additional surname of Read. It was purchased from the representatives of this gentleman by James Walker, Esq., subsequently created a baronet, and father of the present owner. The Hall, a handsome mansion, rebuilt in 1885, is surrounded by picturesque grounds, commanding some fine views of the vale of the Derwent.
The village is small, but delightfully environed by woods, which enhance the beauty of its situation. The Church (St. Mary) is a handsome Gothic structure, built, in 1840, at the expense of Sir James Walker, on a site adjoining the old chapel-of-ease, some remains of which still stand in the churchyard. A new chancel and organ chamber were added, in 1885, by the present baronet. The edifice, which will accommodate 200 persons, consists of chancel, nave, and tower, the latter containing three bells. The east window of three lights, bearing a representation of the Blessed Virgin, with St. Leonard on one side, and St. Paulinus on the other, was inserted by the nine children of Sir James R. and Lady Walker, to commemorate the silver wedding of their parents, June 23rd, 1888. Another window, representing St. John the Baptist, in the north wall of the chancel, was put in on the same occasion by the tenants on the estate. Two stained glass windows also adorn the south wall. The reredos is carved oak, and gilded. The chancel floor is laid with encaustic tiles of a very neat design. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, worth £210, and held by the Rev. Ernest Chater Shepherd, B.A. There are 23 acres of glebe. The great tithe amounts to £360, of which £300 is assigned to the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and £60 to an impropriator. The vicarial tithe, amounting to £12, is paid to the vicar of Bossall.
A very pretty School was built by the late Sir James in 1861, and enlarged by the present baronet, by whom also it is chiefly supported.
CLAXTON is a small township of 839 acres, chiefly the property of Sir J. R. Walker, who is also lord of the manor, and a few small freeholders. It contains 210 inhabitants, and is rated at £1,121. There are chapels in the village belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.