The Ancient Parish of SCALBY
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SCALBY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 3 miles N.
W. of Scarborough. Here is a very ancient church, dedicated to St. Lawrence (see Churches for photograph),
in the patronage of the Dean & Chapter of York, of which the Rev. Thomas
Preston is vicar. Pop. 446.
Here is a small hospital for widows or widowers, containing four rooms
or apartments, founded by one Christopher Kelde; but the time is not on
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Cloughton Newlands
- Raven Hill
- Scalby Mills
- Thorney Brow
- It should be noted that Cloughton Church graveyard is some considerable distance
from the Church. It is located Scarborough side of the Church itself same side of the road almost
opposite the old converted chapel set back from the main road about 100yards. It's up up a muddy track
with a public footpath sign at the end. Further down the road is a lane that leads to the vicarage
but not easy to find. [Malcolm Pickering, October 2010.]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
St. Laurence's Church, Scalby.
St. Mary's Church, Cloughton. See under "Cemeteries" for the Churchyard location.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Cloughton, now a private dwelling.
St. Mark's Church, Newby.
St. John the Baptist's Church, Staintondale.
St. Hilda's Church, Ravenscar (view 1).
St. Hilda's Church, Ravenscar (view 2).
The Methodist Church, Scalby.
The Methodist Church, Burniston.
The Methodist Church, Staintondale.
The Quaker Friends Meeting House, Scarborough.
St. Luke's Church, Scarborough, view 1.
St. Luke's Church, Scarborough, view 2.
Wreyfield Drive Methodist Church, Barrowcliff.
The Northstead Methodist Church, Newby.
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Newby, view 1.
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Newby, view 2.
The Cemetery Chapel, Scalby.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
Ravenscar and Staintondale website contains a small amount of history and a few photos of the area.
- Here are two photographs of the Ravenscar area:
- In 1874 the township of Cloughton (in this parish) became a parish
in its own right. See
- There is an interesting article from 1914 on the New York Times website about
How war affects rural England written in Cloughton by the wife of Reginald Wright Kauffman (an American Author).
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014