GENUKI Home page    Scalby Parish Scalby
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Scalby:


"BURNISTON, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 4 miles NNW. of Scarborough. There is here a small Methodist chapel. Population, 347."


"CLOUGHTON, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 2 miles N. of Scalby, 5 miles NNW. of Scarborough. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), at which the Rev. William Smelt Grundon, vicar of Scalby, officiates. A large free stone quarry, from which (it is supposed) the stone was got to build Scarborough Castle, is situated in this township. Population, 366."


"CLOUGHTON NEWLANDS, a few a farm houses in the township of Cloughton, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake of Pickering-Lythe; 3 miles N. of Scalby, 5 miles from Scarborough, 16 from Whitby."


"COMBOOTS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Scalby; 1 miles WNW. of Scalby, 5 miles from Scarborough, 15 from Pickering and Whitby."


"NEWBY, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; mile SSE. of Scalby, 2 miles NW. of Scarborough. Pop. 40. (see Churches for photograph)"


"PEAK, (now known as Ravenscar), in the township and parish of Scalby, wapentake of Pickering-Lythe; 7 miles NNW. of Scalby, 8 miles from Whitby, 12 from Scarborough. (The seat of Sunderland Cook, Esq.)

Here has been a Roman fort; where a stone was found in 1774, bearing an inscription in good preservation, for which see --Young's Picture of Whitby.

The manufacture of alum is carried on here to a great extent; the works of Peak and Stone Brow producing annually about 300 tons. They appear to have been first worked about 1616-18. -Ibid."


"RAVEN HILL, in the parish of Scalby, and wapentake of Whitby Strand; 7 miles NNW. of Scalby, 6 miles SSW. of Whitby. So called from the Danish general Hubba, who, after disembarking his troops in Dunsley Bay, erected his standard, with a raven portrayed thereon, upon this eminence, in the year 867."


"SCALBY MILLS, 3 farm houses in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 1 mile E. of Scalby, 2 miles N. of Scarborough. A place much resorted to by the company of Scarborough, in the season, as a tea garden."


"STAINTONDALE, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 5 miles NNW. of Scalby, 8 miles NNW. of Scarborough. Population, 294. (see Churches for photograph)

In this dale was an hospital for knights hospitallers of St. John Baptist of Jerusalem, founded in the reign of King Stephen. Part of the dale, if not the whole, was the gift of one Henry, the son of Ralph. The grant was confirmed by the charter of Richard I. It was dissolved in 1540, and surrendered in 1541. The site of the chantry, where carved stones were lately found, is called Old Chapel; and the adjoining farm house, where the hospital has stood, is called Old Hall. --Young's Picture of Whitby."


"THORNEY BROW, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 8 miles NNW. of Scalby, 8 miles SSE. of Whitby."


"THROXENBY, in the parish of Scalby, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; mile S. of Scalby, 2 miles WNW. of Scarborough. Pop. 66."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014