"SCAWTON, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W. from Helmsley, containing 154 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £2. 19. 2., and in the patronage of - Worsley, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is in the early style of English architecture."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]