"SCAWTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 5 miles W. of Helmsley, its post town, and the same distance N.E. of Coxwell railway station. The village, which is of small extent, and wholly agricultural, is situated in the midst of open and moorland scenery. The soil is tolerably fertile, with a subsoil of limestone and sandstone. About two-thirds of the land are under tillage, and the remainder in pasture. Limestone is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £148, and the glebe comprises 32 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £145. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Sir William Worsley, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013