The Ancient Parish of SCAWTON
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SCAWTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles WSW. of Helmsley. Here
is an ancient church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Mary, in the patronage of Mr. Worsley,
of which the Rev. John Oxlee, is the rector. Pop. 154."
"COLD CAM, 2 farm houses in the township of Byland-Membris and parish of Scawton,
wapentake of Rydale; 1¼ miles SSW. of Scawton, 6 miles WSW. of Helmsley."
- Haydn Scott has transcribed the following population censuses for Scawton:
1841 with considerable additional information. This file is in Acrobat format.
1871. This file is in Acrobat format.
- Haydn Scott has transcribed the following from the Parish Registers:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the
Parish of Scawton.
- A transcription of the
List of Rectors in St. Mary's Church, Scawton.
- A transcription of the 1914-1919
War Memorial in Scawton Churchyard.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014