Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for SCRUTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post Office; Mrs. A. Kirk, postmistress. Letters arrive via
Bedale at 8-45 a.m., and are despatched in summer at 4-45 p.m., and in winter at 3-45 p.m.
Letters can be registered here.
Miscellany of trades
- Alcock Mr. Ralph, Scruton cottage
- Brancker Rev. Peter Whitfield, M.A., Oxon., The Rectory
- Buckle John, mason and builder
- Butterwick George, estate joiner
- Butterwick John, joiner, &c.
- Cawthorne Wm. & Sons, brick and tile mnfrs.
- Chapman Mr. William
- Dodsworth Anthony, butcher
- Dunning Chris., farm foreman, Morton flatts
- Elliot George Wm., Esq., M.P., Scruton hall
- Fothergill John, vict., Farmers' Arms
- Grey William Stockburn, schoolmaster
- Hamlin Joseph, head gamekeeper
- Kirk Mrs. Annie, shopkeeper and postmistress
- Kirk Henry, letter carrier
- Longtoft Mrs. Margaret
- Pattison Thomas, blacksmith
- Potts John, shoemaker
- Rudd William, station master, Scruton station
- Simpson Mr. John, West view
- Sunley William, head gardener
- Tiplin Miss Catherine Elizabeth
- Wright Joseph, vict., Coore Arms
- Allison William
- Atkinson John Slater, Morton flatts; h Yafforth
- Barker Joseph, Cross lanes
- Braithwaite Stephen, Terry house
- Clark William C., Spring house; h Darlington
- Cundell John (yeo.)
- Dodsworth John (and agent to H. M. G. Coore, Esq.)
- Dodsworth William, West house
- Jackson William (yeo. - and nurseryman), Cross lanes
- Knowles George
- Knowles Tom, Moor house
- Lambert Thomas (and miller), Grimescar mill
- Mitchell Francis, The Grange
- Mitchell Thomas, Field house
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016