|Seamer In Cleveland
"SEAMER IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.N.W. from Stokesley, containing 226 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of R. G. Russell, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. John Coulson, in 1679, bequeathed a rent-charge of £8 for the education of ten boys at the village of Newby. In the neighbourhood is a remarkable tumulus, and on the acclivity of a hill adjoining are vestiges of an ancient intrenchment, in the valley beneath which many human bones and warlike weapons have been discovered, conjectured to be relies of the great battle of Baden-hill, in which Prince Arthur overthrew the Saxons, in 402."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]