|Seamer In Cleveland
"SEAMER IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Yarm, its post town, and 2 N.W. of Stokesley. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on an eminence near the road from Yarm to Stokesley, and from the churchyard is obtained a distant view of the German Ocean. Two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow. The soil consists of a rich sandy loam in the vicinity of the village, but in other parts of an inferior quality. In the parish is a tumulus, and on the acclivity of a hill are vestiges of an ancient entrenchment, near which many skeletons and military weapons have been found, leading to the supposition that this was the site of the great battle of Baden Hill, in which Prince Arthur defeated the Saxons in 492. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £367 13s., and the incumbent's for £16 108. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £56. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, has a low, square tower containing two bells. The interior of the church contains a marble font, the gift of Sir Cuthbert Herring in 1822. The register dates from 1538. There is a parochial school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school; the latter is supported by Lady Leconfield. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013