|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SEAMER IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles NW. of Stokesley. The church, dedicated to St. Martin (see Churches for photograph), is a neat, small plain, structure, re-built in 1821, situated upon an eminence, and commanding an extensive prospect. The living is a perpetual curacy, under the patronage of Robert Greenhill Russell, Esq. M.P. Incumbent the Rev. Henry Gale. Within this township, and nearly at an equal distance, between the villages of Seamer and Newby, there is a remarkable tumulus, significantly called How-Hill, which is not known to have ever been opened. In the fields adjoining, towards the South, on the side of a hill, are evident marks of an entrenchment; and it is reported, that in the valley or plain beneath, armour, swords, and human bones have been frequently turned up by the plough. It is difficult, perhaps, at this remote period, from the imperfect accounts we have received, to know to what people they could have belonged; but considering the nature and situation of the country, it seems probable, that this might have been the scene of action, where the Saxons were overthrown by Prince Arthur, at the memorable battle of Baden-hill; which, according to Holinshed, and some other historians, is conjectured to have been fought in this neighbourhood, about the year 492. Pop. 226."
"HOWE HILL, in the township of Newby, and parish of Seamer in Cleveland; 1 mile NE. of Seamer in Cleveland, 3 miles from Stokesley.
This is a remarkable tumulus, and on the side of the hill towards the south are evident marks of an intrenchment, probably Saxon, and in the plain below, it is reported that armour, swords, and human bones have frequently been found."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]