GENUKI Home page    Sessay Parish<br>main page Sessay
Parish
main page

SESSAY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SESSAY, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk, and 6 N.W. of Easingwold. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The parish comprises the townships of Sessay and Hutton Sessay. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The surface is undulating, and the soil a mixture of clay and sand. The living is a rectory in the diocese* of York, value 575. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. The parochial charities produce about 21 per annum. Sessay Hall is the seat of Viscount Downe."


"HUTTON SESSAY, a township in the parish of Sessay, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 1 mile N.E. of Sessay, and 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk, its post town. It is situated near the Great Northern railway. At Sessay is a station of the York and Newcastle railway. The soil is of a loamy nature. The place is chiefly the property of Viscount Downe."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014