"SHERIFF HUTTON, a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, near York, and scarce 4 m. from the Forest of Galtres, has the shell of a castle, which with the manor bel. in the R. of Stephen, to the see of Durham; after which they were in the crown, till Edward III. granted the manor to Ralph Nevil, Ld. Raby; whose son obtained a charter for a Mt. here on M. and a Fair Sept. 14, 15, 16; but the former, if not the latter, has been long disused."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]