Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for SHERIFF HUTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SHERIFF HUTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SHERIFF HUTTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 9 miles S.W. of New Malton, and 10 N.N.E. of York. The parish, which is of large extent, comprises the townships and hamlets of Cornbrough, Farlington, Sheriff Hutton, North Ings, Lillings Ambo, and Stittenham. The land is about equally divided between arable and pasture, with 120 acres of woodland in the township of Sheriff Hutton. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769. Here are remains of a castle erected by Bertram de Bulmer in the reign of Stephen, which, being seized by Edward IV., became a royal castle. Richard III. selected it as the place of confinement for Edward Plantagenet, wherein he remained till the death of Richard at the battle of Bosworth Field. The Princess Elizabeth, afterwards consort of Henry VII., was also confined here. It was subsequently given by Henry VIII. to his natural son the Duke of Richmond. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £194, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, also a small endowed school. The principal residences are Hutton Lodge and Hutton Park."


"CORNBROUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles W. of New Malton, and 1 mile N.W. of Sheriff Hutton. This was anciently a Roman settlement."


"FARLINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Sheriff Hutton, and 5 S.E. of Easingwold. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value with that of Marton annexed, £130, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. There are several parochial charities producing about £120 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a school with a small endowment. Stephen Croft, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"LILLINGS AMBO, (or East And West Lilling), a township in the parish of Sheriff-Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 2½ miles from Sheriff-Hutton, and 9 N.E. of York. The township of West Lilling is of small extent, and situated near the Scarborough railway. East Lilling contains but two farms and the Hall. Charles M. Ingram, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"NORTH INGS, a hamlet in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 9 miles S.W. of New Malton, and 10 N.E. of York."


"STITTENHAM, a township in the parish of Sheriff-Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 7½ miles S.W. of New Malton, and 13 N.E. of York. The village consists of a few agricultural buildings. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor, and sole landowner."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013