Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for SHERIFF HUTTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
SHERIFF HUTTON-WITH-CORNBROUGH TOWNSHIP.
- Post, Money Order Office, and Savings Bank, Sheriff Hutton; John Richardson, postmaster.
Letters via York arrive at 7-45 a.m., and are despatched at 6-15 p.m. in summer, and 5-30
p.m. in winter.
Miscellany of trades
- Armitage Hutchinson, grocer, draper, and general dealer
- Backhouse Mr. John
- Backhouse Rd., farmer and vict., Pack Horse
- Belt Mrs. Hannah, Castle view
- Calvert John, carrier to York
- Coates John, Esq., Sheriff Hutton park
- Cooper William, joiner and wheelwright
- Corveson William, joiner and wheelwright
- Denham William, groom and gardener, The Vicarage
- Dixon Benjamin, machinist
- Douglas Mr. George, Blenheim cottage
- Driffield Mrs. Hannah, West end
- Everett Arthur B., brewer and maltster
- Farnaby Caleb, castrator
- Hill Henry, blacksmith, &c.
- Hodgson Alfred Walker, veterinary surgeon
- Hopperton William, churn maker
- Hubie Mrs. Edith M.
- Hudson John, mole catcher and gardener
- Johnson John, shoemaker
- Kirkby Headley, grocer and provision dealer; and at Hutton Buscel
- Lascelles Rev. John
- Lascelles Joseph, barn and bacon factor
- Metcalfe Henry, shoemaker, and agent to Prudential Assurance Co.
- Metcalfe John, blacksmith, &c.
- Metcalfe Mrs. Mary
- Mitchell Joseph, saddler and harness maker, and parish clerk and sexton
- National School; Smith Jowett, master; Mrs. L. G. Jowett, C.M., sewing mistress;
Miss Elizabeth Ashworth, infants' mistress
- Pearson Alfred, joiner and wheelwright
- Pearson William, joiner and wheelwright
- Purdy E. & S., drapers and grocers
- Richardson Mr. John, The Cottage
- Richardson John, tailor, draper, and newsagent, Post office
- Sheriff Hutton, District Agricultural Club; Smith Jowett, secretary
- Smith John, plumber and painter
- Spence William, carrier to York (Saturdays)
- Stabler Thomas, carter, &c.
- Stapleton Rt., police constable, Police station
- Suggitt, Jonathan, tile and brick manufacturer
- Sykes John Edwin, gardener, The Lodge
- Wales John, vict., Castle Inn
- Ward Emanuel, butcher
- Ward Thomas, grocer and draper
- Webster John, saddle and harness maker
- Wesleyan School; Allison E. Goodhand, master
- Armitage David (yeo.), Park farm
- Armitage Wilfred & George, Park farm
- Barker William, Golden flatts, Cornbrough
- Belt James Alfred, Mill house
- Binnington John & Robert Pickering, Lodge
- Brown Hy. (& land agent & valuer), High roans
- Byass John, Mount pleasant
- Cayton Richard (and tailor), Oak villa
- Cayton Robert, Dump hill
- Christie Alexander, Moor farm
- Cordukes Jph. & Son (Wm.), Chess Vat house
- Dalton Henry
- Dobson Mrs. Ann, Westfield house
- Farrer George, Cornbrough
- Gledhill John, Cornbrough
- Goodwill James, Valley house, North Ings
- Goodwill Richard, Brook house, North Ings
- Green William, Mill Hill farm, Cornbrough
- Harrison William
- Hebron Thomas (yeo.), The Oak farm
- Hodgson George, Lund
- Hutchinson John & William
- Jewitt Edwd., Bridge farm, and Lillings Ambo
- Lockey Thomas, Foss house, Cornbrough
- Mark Edward, Glebe farm
- Otterburn Richard, Cornbrough hall
- Oxendale William, Cornbrough villa
- Pearson George, Brecken house
- Pearson John (and steam thrashing machine proprietor, &c.)
- Ridsdale Richard, Cape farm
- Rounthwaite Robert (yeo.), Golden flatts
- Saville John (and butcher and overseer)
- Saville Thomas (yeo. - and cattle dealer)
- Smithson John
- Sturdy & Ward, High Roans house
- Suggitt Joseph, Castle farm, and High roans
- Thompson Richard, Dudley hills
- Wilberforce William W. (owner), Cornbrough
- Willis James, Cornbrough grange
LILLINGS AMBO TOWNSHIP.
- Letters via York arrive at 7-30 a.m., and are despatched at 5-55 p.m.
The nearest Money Order Office is at Sheriff Hutton.
Miscellany of trades
- Belt Frederick, bricklayer and farmer
- Belt Thomas, builder
- Clifton George, farrier
- Coward William, tailor and draper
- Creaser Mrs. Elizabeth, Woodbine cottage
- Hick Mr. Thomas
- Hick William, postman
- Holtby Robert, Esq., Lilling hall, East Lilling
- Peckitt David, grocer
- Pettinger Thomas John, rate collector
- Purdy Mr. John, South view
- Butler Noah
- Carlton John (owner), East Lilling
- Cook Jabez
- Coverdale Thomas (yeo.)
- Humphrey William, Lilling and Grange farms
- Jewitt Edward, East Lilling
- Jones Thomas (yeo.)
- Lawson John Thomas, East Lilling grange
- Wood William Abel (owner), Green farm
- Letters via Thornton-le-Clay, York, delivered by messenger.
- Brown Miss, Mill House farm
- Crofton James Anthony, Carr house
- Hornsey Andrew, Wheat Close farm
- Hornsey Henry, Exors. of, West Mill house
- Knowles Thomas (and resident manager for the Duke of Sutherland)
- Knowles William, Wood End house
- Rickinson William, Gower farm
- Tranmer William Henry, The Hall farm
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 18.55 on Sunday, 29 May 2011, by Colin Hinson. ©2011]