"SINNINGTON, a parish comprising the townships of Marton and Sinnington in PICKERING lythe, and the township of Little Edstone, in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 614 inhabitants, of which number, 343 are in the township of Sinnington, 4 miles W.N.W. from Pickering. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master of Hemsworth school. There is a place of worship forWesleyan Methodists. An annuity of £5' is paid from the estate of LadyLumley, for the free instruction of the poor."
"LITTLE EDSTON, a township in that part of the parish of SINNINGTON, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W. from Pickering, containing 16 inhabitants."
"MARTON, a township in that part of the parish of SINNINGTON, which is in PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Pickering, containing 255 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]