Parish main page
Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Electoral Division of Thornton - Petty Sessional Division of Pickering Lythe West - Poor Law Union of Pickering - Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This small but interesting parish, in the vale of the Seven, comprises the townships of Sinnington, Little Edstone, and Marton, the total area of which is 3,390 acres, and the population, 521. The Gilling and Pickering branch of the North Eastern railway passes through the parish. The soil is a rich clayey loam, and the scenery, in many parts, of a picturesque character. The township of Sinnington contains 2,050 acres, chiefly the property of C. B. E. Wright, Esq., Bolton Hall, Clitheroe, who is also lord of the manor; James Lesley, Esq., Sinnington; and Mrs. Henrietta Kendall. It is rated at £2,576, and contains 315 inhabitants.
The manor anciently belonged to the Lords Latimer, one of whom, in the early part of the 14th century, obtained a charter for a weekly market and an annual fair at Sinnington. William, Lord Latimer, died in 1381, leaving a daughter and heiress, Elizabeth, who became the second wife of John, Lord Neville, of Raby. Their son John inherited Sinnington, and was summoned to parliament as Baron Latimer, in the reigns of Henry V. and VI. He died without issue, and all his estates, including Sinnington, devolved upon his nephew, George Neville (son of Ralph, Earl of Westmoreland, his father's half brother), who married Elizabeth Beauchamp, daughter of the Earl of Warwick, and was summoned to parliament, as Baron Latimer, from 1432 to 1469. He was succeeded by his grandson, Richard Neville, whose son, John, Lord Latimer, then a widower with children, married Catherine Parr, and was one of the leaders in the Pilgrimage of Grace. She survived him, and became the sixth and last wife of Henry VIII. His son, John, the last Lord Latimer of the Neville family, left four daughters, coheiresses, through one of whom Sinnington descended to Lord and Lady Lumley. The latter died in 1657, bequeathing this and other estates to trustees to be sold, and a grammar school and almshouses founded for Sinnington and Thornton Dale.
The ancient lords of Sinnington had a residence and a deer park here. Near the church is a building, used as a barn, with inserted perpendicular windows, that in the south gable, now walled up, being very large, and the framework of an oak screen, still in situ, which was probably a portion of their hall.*
* Eastmead's Hist. Rievallensis. Mr. Frank, in his "Ryedale and North York Antiquities," assures us that this building was part of a monastery that once stood here, and has given the name of Friars' Hill to part of the village; but if such be the case it must have been abandoned before the Reformation, as it is not enumerated among the religious houses dissolved by Henry VIII. In an adjoining paddock human bones are frequently dug up, as if it had once been a place of interment.
The village of Sinnington is situated on the banks of the river Seven, from which it is said to derive its name. It is about four miles from Pickering, and the same distance from Kirbymoorside. It still retains its maypole on the village green. The church (All Saints), originally in the Norman style, has been much altered and mutilated by successive repairs. A Saxon edifice previously occupied the site, some relics of which may be seen built into the walls of the present structure. One of these is the upper part of a cross on which is carved, rudely but distinctly, the Crucifixion. Beneath the arms is the figure of a serpent. Another is the stone of an ancient sundial, with a peculiar division of the day into eight parts, a system in use in Ireland as well as England 1,200 years ago. The living is a new vicarage, in the gift of G. Rablah, Esq., and worth £100, exclusive of 52 acres of glebe. The impropriator is the master of Hemsworth School, Barnsley.
The school receives £30 a year out of Lady Lumley's charity (see Thornton Dale). The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, ornamented in front by a clock and statuette.
CHARITIES - Six of the inmates of the hospital at Thornton Dale are chosen from Sinnington, one from Edstone, and one from Marton. Mrs. A. Bellwood left by will, in 1858, £300, the interest thereof to be given to the poor of Sinnington township.
LITTLE EDSTONE is a small township, containing 190 acres and two dwelling houses. C. B. E. Wright is lord of the manor and principal owner. It is distant about three miles from Sinnington, and is in Ryedale wapentake.
MARTON. - This township comprises 686 acres, and 193 inhabitants. The principal proprietors are C. B. E. Wright, Esq. (lord of the manor), A. G. Duncombe, Esq., Messrs. William and John Sleightholme, Mrs. Gould, and Miss Boyes. The soil is fertile, and the district noted for the growth of vegetables, fruit, flowers, and garden produce. Rateable value, £902.
The village is situated on the banks of the Seven, about two miles south of Sinnington. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here; that belonging to the former was built in 1826, and the latter in 1870, to supersede an older one erected in 1821. Church service is held once a fortnight in the school.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.