[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3 miles NE. of Guisborough. Skelton castle was built by the second Robert de Brus, the son of Robert de Bruss, a Norman Baron, who accompanied William the Conqueror to England." (There is further information for Skelton In Cleveland
"FREEBROUGH HILL, (or Freeburgh Hill) in the township of Moorsholme, and parish of Skelton in Cleveland; 4¼ miles SSE. of Skelton in Cleveland, 4 miles from Skelton.
Conjectured by some to have been a Druidical work. It is a detached mountain of a conical form, having a natural rock on its top now worked as a quarry."
"GARRICK, (later Girrick, 2005 - Gerrick), a small hamlet in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, wapentake of Langbargh; 4¾ miles SE. of Skelton in Cleveland."
"GREAT MOORSHOLM, (later just Moorsholm) in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3½ miles SE. of Skelton in Cleveland, 6 miles E. of Guisborough; a long straggling village, about one mile to the SW. of it stands the beautiful conic mountain, commonly called Freebrough hill, which serves as a sea mark to the sailors who frequent the neighbouring coast. Pop. 353."
"LITTLE MOORSHOLM, a farm house in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, township of Great Moorsome, East division of Langbarugh; 2½ miles SE. of Skelton in Cleveland, 4½ miles from Guisborough."
"MANLESS GREEN, (later Skelton Green), in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¼ mile SSE. of Skelton in Cleveland."
"SALTBURN, in the parishes of Skelton in Cleveland and Brotton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1½ miles NW. of Brotton, 6 miles NE. of Guisborough; situated upon the sea near Huntcliffe, inhabited chiefly by fishermen. (Please note that Saltburn by the sea did not exist in 1823. See Marske by the Sea parish, Bulmer's 1890 transcription for information)."
"STANGHOW, in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2½ miles SE. of Skelton in Cleveland, 5 miles ENE. of Guisborough; is pleasantly situated on an eminence, and affords a variety of beautiful scenery. The lord of the manor is J. Wharton, Esq. M. P. of Skelton Castle. Population, 91."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]