|Skelton In Cleveland
"SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, is a village, in the parish of its name, in the same division and liberty as Guisborough, three miles N. E. from that town. The principal feature of attraction here is Skelton castle, once the elegant seat of John Hall Stephenson, Esq. the author of 'Crazy Tales,' &c. but now the residence of John Wharton, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat modern structure, the living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Archbishop of York. The population of the parish, in 1821, was 1,235, including 791 in the township."
Note: The directory entry for Skelton In Cleveland in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Stokesley.
Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29
by Colin Hinson ©2007