|Skelton In Cleveland
"SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the eastern division of the wapentake of Langbaurgh, North Riding, three miles and a half n.e. from Guisborough. It was formerly celebrated for its castle, which was erected by Robert de Brus, a Norman Baron, who came over with the Conqueror. There are now but few remains of the ancient building existing, the whole having been modernized in 1794. It was once the seat of John Hall Stephenson, Esq. known in the literary world as the author of " Crazy Tales," &c. : it is now the residence of John Wharton, esq. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1775. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Atchbishop of York : the present incumbent is the Rev. William Close. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,241 inhabitants, and the township 781 of that number."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]