|Skelton In Cleveland
"SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Great Moorsham, Skelton, and Stranghow, and containing 1235 inhabitants, of which number, 791 are in the township of Skelton, 4 miles N.N.E. from Guilsbrough. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A market, formerly held on Sunday, but afterwards changed to Saturday, and a fair at Whitsuntide, have been discontinued. Skelton castle was built by Robert de Brus, a Norman baron, who came over with the Conqueror, and from whom descended some of the kings of Scotland and the present family of Bruce, Marquises of Ailesbury. There are now but few remains of the ancient building, the whole having been entirely modernised, or renovated, in 1794."
"GREAT MOORSHAM, a township in the parish of SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Guilsbrough, containing 353 inhabitants."
"STRANGHOW, a township in the parish of SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Guilsbrough, containing 91 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]