[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SLINGSBY, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 6 miles WNW. of Malton; is situated on an extensive beautiful plain, and on an ancient Roman road, formerly a Roman station. This manor and castle formerly belonged to the noble family of Mowbray, who were succeeded by that of Howard: John, Lord Howard, was created Duke of Norfolk, by King Richard III. in which illustrious family the title still remains. The castle was partly re-built by Sir C. Cavendish, in 1603, but not finished; it is now the property of the Earl of Carlisle. In the woods of Earl Carlisle, there are nine or ten large tumuli, showing that some severe conflict has taken place here. Here is a school for ten poor children, endowed with £5. per annum, by Mrs. Ann Mann, of Stokesley. There is also a church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl of Carlisle, and the Rev. John Cleaver, D. D. is the incumbent. Pop. 548."