"SLINGSBY, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from New Malton, containing 548 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £12. 1. lOf., and in the patronage of the Earl of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is partly in the early and partly in the later style of English architecture. The Rev. Robert Wood, in 1712, in exercise of a power reserved to him, gave a rent-charge of £5 for teaching ten poor children, to which the Earl of Carlisle adds £10 per annum. Here is a fine bed of limestone, abounding with organic fossil remains. A Roman road from Malton to the westward passes through the parish, and here was a castle belonging to the family of Lacy before the Conquest, and afterwards to that of Mowbray, which Richard III. subsequently held, and died possessed of: it was partly rebuilt, in the laterstyle of English architecture, by Sir C. Cavendish, in 1603, but the walls only are remaining."