Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for SLINGSBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SLINGSBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SLINGSBY, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of New Malton, and 6 N. of Whitewell. It is a station on the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield railway. The village, which is large and well built, is situated on the acclivity of the northern ridge of the Howardian hills, and is watered by the Wathbeck rivulet. The manufacture of bricks and tiles is carried on, and limestone is extensively quarried for building purposes, and for burning into lime. The land is generally arable, with a small proportion of pasture and woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £490. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to All Saints. The chancel was rebuilt in 1835. The charities produce about £13 per annum, of which £5 goes towards the support of a school. There are places of worship for the Wesleyan Methodists, also two schools chiefly supported by the Earl of Carlisle. In the vicinity of the village are traces of a castle built by the Lacys and Mowbrays, and which was purchased by Sir Charles Cavendish in 1603. The castle, having become dilapidated, Sir Charles, son of the preceding, rebuilt on its site a mansion, which afterwards became the property of the poet Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham, and was subsequently purchased by an ancestor of the Earl of Carlisle, the present proprietor of the manor. In the grounds facing the castle is a mount called Gallows Hill Field. Traces of the Roman road from Malton are still discernible at various points near the village, on the W. of which are the remains of Slingsby Castle, built by William de Slingsbie, ancestors of the Slingsbys of Scriven, and on the E. the ancient seat of the-Wyvill family."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016