"SLINGSBY, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of New Malton, and 6 N. of Whitewell. It is a station on the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield railway. The village, which is large and well built, is situated on the acclivity of the northern ridge of the Howardian hills, and is watered by the Wathbeck rivulet. The manufacture of bricks and tiles is carried on, and limestone is extensively quarried for building purposes, and for burning into lime. The land is generally arable, with a small proportion of pasture and woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £490. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to All Saints. The chancel was rebuilt in 1835. The charities produce about £13 per annum, of which £5 goes towards the support of a school. There are places of worship for the Wesleyan Methodists, also two schools chiefly supported by the Earl of Carlisle. In the vicinity of the village are traces of a castle built by the Lacys and Mowbrays, and which was purchased by Sir Charles Cavendish in 1603. The castle, having become dilapidated, Sir Charles, son of the preceding, rebuilt on its site a mansion, which afterwards became the property of the poet Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham, and was subsequently purchased by an ancestor of the Earl of Carlisle, the present proprietor of the manor. In the grounds facing the castle is a mount called Gallows Hill Field. Traces of the Roman road from Malton are still discernible at various points near the village, on the W. of which are the remains of Slingsby Castle, built by William de Slingsbie, ancestors of the Slingsbys of Scriven, and on the E. the ancient seat of the-Wyvill family."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013