"SNEATON, is a village, in the parish of its name, (having no dependent township), 3 miles from Whitby. Near the village is Sneaton castle, the seat of the late Colonel Wilson, under whose auspices a new church was erected here : it is dedicated to St. John; the living is a rectory, in the gift of the King ; the present incumbent is the Rev. Timothy Castley. Here is a charity school, with an endowment of 20. per annum. The parish contained at the last census, 230 inhabitants.
Please see Whitby Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."