"SNEATON, a parish in the liberty of WHITBYSTRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Whitby, containing 251 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleve land, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £13. 2. 6., and in the patronage of James Wilson, Esqv at whose expense the present church,, which is in the decorated style, was lately erected, the former edifice having fallen to decay. He also established a free school for all the children of parishioners. Courts leet and baron are held here."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]