"SNEATON, a parish in the liberty of Whitby-Strand, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Whitby, its post town, and 1½ mile S. of Ruswarp railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Esk, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Thorpe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £170. The church has a low tower surmounted by a spire and containing three bells; it has likewise an ancient font. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is an endowed free school for both sexes. Miss Wilson is lady of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013